My dear friend, and fellow Speculative Fiction writer, Joyce Alton, has just had a birthday… not her, her blog, “Yesternight’s Voyage.” One year of successful blogging. Not bad, eh?
To help in the celebration I’ve been tagged. Somehow I always end up last in these things, so I won’t be able to follow one of her rules. Everybody I know has already been tagged! ARRRRRGH! But I’m use to it; the same thing happened with alarming frequency on the playgrounds of my youth. ;)
Anyhoo, here are the rules.
The rules are as follows:
1) Answer the questions on your own blog.
2) Tag three other speculative fiction blog writers to participate.
3) Each participant needs to link their blogpost with their answers back to Yesternight’s Voyage.
4) Leave a comment in the original post (on Yesternight’s Voyage) as to why you love, write, or read speculative fiction and a link to your blog.
5) Stay tuned to Yesternight’s Voyage this month for a mad treasure hunt (later on) that will connect all the participating blogs.
6) Make sure you post these rules on your blog when participating.
7) Please note that the blogging part of the treasure hunt will only run between March 6th – 19th. So have your answers posted by then. If you are posting your answers on the 18th or 19th, don’t worry about tagging anyone new.
Part II answer her questions:
1) Who are your favorite speculative fiction writers?
Ray Bradbury, Issac Asminov, Frank Hurbert, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and whoever it was that first penned Beowulf.
2) Write a two or three sentence writing prompt to inspire your readers today. (Encourage them to post their responses in your comments section.)
(I’m not sure how much good this is going to do, since I can count my readers on one hand and I’m not real certain that very many of them show up at any given time. But, here goes.)
Your MC is alone in a dark castle. They have just found the answer to the quest they have been seeking. As they reah out to claim their prize, an ominous noise comes from behind them. (Please answer in the comments section, if you happen to be out there. LOL!)
3) List three favorite industry blogs/websites that you’ve found helpful.
Agent Query Connect
Predators and Editors
4) Give us the low-down on your main character (or one of your main characters) in the story you’re working on right now, regardless if it’s finished or not. Describe his/her personality, situation, and what his/her biggest problem/obstacle is.
(I’m working on a couple, so I’ll pick the Sci Fi one. I’m keeping the Fantsy MC under deep cover until Marathon for good reason, but ya all will have to wait for May to find out. :P)
Robert Morgan is an ex-military commander turned seedy private eye for hire. Blaming himself for the annihilation of his squad during the war on Centaurius Prime, he apparently turns to alcohol to dull the guilt. Xenophobic from his experience in the war; a plea for help from the alien commander responsible sends him into a conflict of emotions where he must question his life choice afterwards, and confront the fallacy of his own bigotry.
5) What are your favorite speculative fiction movies from the last five years?
In no particular order.
The Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of The Rings, Avatar, District 9, and Ella Enchanted. (I’m fairly sure a few of those fall outside the specified timeline, but there it is.)
6) If you were suddenly thrown into another world where magic existed, what is something from the real world you’d want to take with you? (Limitations apply on energy sources and such.)
The recipe for making gunpowder, (Oooo! That’s gotta hurt! ~Bruce Campbell, Army of Darkness), and a darn good Katana sword, (Not the cheap copies.).
7) List the first type of these things you think of:
a) color: Blue-green
b) number: 42 (It is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. ;) )
c) made-up name: Kharnn
d) an adjective: Amazing
I am tagging:
Nobody. I checked out the blog, and everyone I could tag has already been tagged.
Sorry Joyce, but someone has to be at the bottom of the barrel, and it looks like that spot is still reserved for yours truly. :D
Well, there you have it… and I didn’t even lie this time. LOL!
Take a moment, if you would, and hop over to Joyce’s blog Yesternight’s Voyage. I’m gonna pop overe there now, and try to post a’la the rules, but given the problems I have commenting on Blogspot, I’m making NO promises. LOL!